International Mens Day observed on November 19 focuses on men’s health, improving gender relations, highlighting male role models, and promoting positive expressions of masculinity.
It’s also an opportunity to recognize men who don’t fall into traditional manifestations of masculinity, such as gay and bisexual men, transgender, or masculine non-binary people.
The day honors the positive contributions that men make to the world, their households, and their societies.
The day also promotes positive role models and spreads awareness about men’s wellness.
INTERNATIONAL MEN’S DAY 2021: THEME
There are six pillars of International Mens Day, and one of them focuses on improving gender relations and promoting gender equality for men and women alike.
“Better relations between men and women” is the theme for IMD 2021.
HISTORY OF INTERNATIONAL MEN’S DAY
In 1968, an American journalist named John P. Harris wrote an editorial highlighting a lack of balance in the Soviet system, which promoted an International Women’s Day for female workers but failed to deliver a male counterpart.
Harris stated that though he agreed there should be a day to celebrate women, the day served as flaw within the communist system.
In the early 1990s Thomas Oaster, the director of the Missouri Center for Men’s Studies, invited organizations in the U.S., Australia, and Malta to hold small International Mens Day events during the month of February.
Oaster successfully hosted these events for two years, but his 1995 attempt was poorly attended. Discouraged, he ceased plans to continue the function. Australia followed suit, making Malta the sole country to continue celebrating.
In 1999 Trinidad and Tobago, the day was revived by Jerome Teelucksingh from the University of the West Indies.
He realized that even though there was a day for fathers, there was no day to celebrate men who didn’t have kids, or who were young boys and teenagers.
Teelucksingh understood the importance of positive male role models, as his father had been an excellent example for him, and chose to celebrate International Men’s Day on November 19 — the day of his father’s birthday as well as the day a local soccer team had united his country with their endeavors to qualify for the world cup.
Since Teelucksingh’s revival, International Mens Day has served to promote positive aspects of male identity based on the premise that men respond more constructively to positive role models than to negative gender stereotyping.
The day is not intended to compete with International Women’s Day, but to highlight the importance of men’s physical and mental health and positive masculinity.
INTERNATIONAL MEN’S DAY 2021: SIGNIFICANCE
Suicide is the leading cause of death among men under the age of 45, according to WHO data. This is accurate in many countries around the world, including the United Kingdom, the United States, Australia, and Russia.
Obviously, there are explanations for this that are unique to men.
Sexual identity, societal and cultural conditioning, and role models all play a role.
This says a lot about the psychology, behavior, and mental health of men in our communities.
Men are gendered in a specific way from an early age – ‘men will be men’ and ‘boys don’t cry’ are a few examples. It is a conscience found in many cultures all over the world, with variations.
Men are expected to present a strong, unaffected impression as they reach adulthood, which often masks an intense need to communicate what is happening to them emotionally.
This isn’t to say that women have it smoother than men.
This day is not intended to compete with International Women’s Day, but rather to allow boys to live a life of values, principles character, and encourage men to start opening up and to communicate.
INTERNATIONAL Mens DAY BY NUMBERS
As one of the key objectives of International Mens Day is men’s health and wellbeing, here are some statistics aligned with that objective.
87% – The percentage of rough sleepers who are men.
73% – The percentage of people who go missing that are male.
76% – The percentage of suicides that are by men.
8.7% – The percentage of men who are alcohol dependent.
26% – The percentage of men who suffer from high cholesterol.
76 – The life expectancy of a man born in the U.S.
22% – The percentage of men who have experienced mental health problems in the last year.
INTERNATIONAL MENS DAY DATES
International Mens Day quotes
- Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value. – Albert Einstein
- A good man would prefer to be defeated than to defeat injustice by evil means. – Sallust
- But know this. Men are not from Mars. Women are not from Venus. Do not fall for categories. Everyone is everything. Every ingredient inside a star is inside you, and every personality that ever existed competes in the theater of your mind for the main role. – Matt Haig
- A man must at times be hard as nails: willing to face up to the truth about himself…But he must also be tender. No weapon will breach the Armour of a woman’s resentment like tenderness. – Elisabeth Elliot
- A man does what he must – in spite of personal consequences, in spite of obstacles and dangers and pressures – and that is the basis of all human morality. – John F Kennedy
- Being male is a matter of birth. Being a man is a matter of age. But being a gentleman is a matter of choice. – Vin Diesel
International Mens Day wishes
- The beauty of all men is that each one has a special quality, and it is nice when you discover their true heart. Happy Men’s Day.
- There is no need for a man to use physical force to show the strength that he carries within him. It is a matter of facing the challenges of life without fear. Happy International Men’s Day!
- Shout out to all men out there who despite all odds and obstacles, paved the way for themselves in the over-ambitious world. May you get more strength and love. Happy International Men’s Day!
- Men are a beautiful creation of God, but they are not perfect, so it’s normal that they have several errors. Happy International Men’s Day!
- Thank you for keeping my faith in good men intact! You deserve nothing but the best. Happy International Mens Day.
- We should be true men and endeavor to be better each day, for the benefit of our families and for us. Happy Mens Day!
- You sacrifice your happiness and life for the welfare of your family and loved ones. We wish you a Happy International Mens Day.
- A real man never gets affected by what others say about him as he is busy doing what is best for his family and loved ones. You are truly the best man we all know.
- Happy International Mens Day.